Monday, September 1, 2008

Goals for Soldiers Background

My boyfriend, Dave, is in the Army and deployed to Iraq in early July. In honor of Dave and all our soldiers dedicating their lives to our country and our safety I am creating a fundraiser called Goals for Soldiers. Per Dave's selection, all money donated will go to the Fisher House™.

Before I explain the details of the fundraiser, some background information is needed. In January of 2008 I had my second ACL reconstruction surgery. I had torn my ACL during a soccer game in December of 2007. After my surgery Dave was extremely supportive. He would come by making sure I was ok, bringing me lunch, cooking me dinner, and helping me around the house. He would take me places to get me out around town. He even planned a special dinner for Valentine's Day and made sure the restaurant was able to accommodate me with crutches and need to prop my leg up. He was always so thoughtful and considerate.

July was my expected return to sports. Many of you already know that soccer is a huge part of my life. I've been playing soccer for 27 years now and time off seems to drag on and on. I also learned that Dave was deploying in mid-July. But, at the last minute his deployment date was moved up 8 days to July 2nd, meaning I had to cancel my trip to visit him the 4th of July weekend. Of course I was devastated. He had already been gone from my hometown for a month and I wouldn't get to see him for another year. I was heartbroken. To pick up my spirits I asked him, "How many goals do you think I can score while your gone?" His reply, "50." My reply to that, "Heck no, I'm going for 200! And I'm going to dedicate every one to you!"

Of course this became my new contest. I had set my sites high. But if you know me, you know I like that. And so I got out my calculator. I figured I'd need to score 16 goals a month, approximately 4 goals a week. So, on July 2nd, at the very moment Dave was boarding a plane for Iraq, I was playing my 1st game back my injury. I scored 3 goals that game. I was well on my way.

While discussing my progress with some friends, they suggested I use this as an opportunity to raise money for an organization dedicated to helping the military and their families. Leaving the organization up to Dave, he selected the Fisher House™. The Fisher House™ Foundation donates "comfort homes," built on the grounds of major military and VA medical centers. These homes enable family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful times - during the hospitalization for an unexpected illness, disease, or injury. And unfortunately that need has increased since our country has been at war.

I'm not very accustomed to asking for money. But, if you would like to support the military and their families with me you there are 3 ways you can donate to the cause "Goals for Soldiers". You can donate on a per-goal basis, a one time sum, or a donation at the end if I achieve 200 goals. The end date of this fundraiser will be June 2009. Donations can be made at this secure web site: http://www.active.com/donate/teamfisherhouse/goalsforsoldiers.

If you'd like more information about The Fisher House™, please visit www.fisherhouse.org.

I will be posting my progress on this blog from time to time, so please check back and see how we are all doing. Thank you in advance for supporting the selfless heroes who keep our country safe! God bless you!

1 comment:

p_rayborn said...

Hey Jen Bad,

It is great what you are putting together. You have such determination and an enjoyment for life. I have no doubt that you will make your goal.
Thank you for stepping up there and introducing a way for everyone to help those who continue to help us.

Best of luck,
Pam